Recovering from a natural disaster can topple a rural area’s economy but having sufficient resources can get your municipality or not-for-profit back on its feet – even after a disaster strikes.  Some Kansas communities are eligible for grant funds to aid in recovery from the devastating effects of natural disasters.

USDA Rural Development’s Community Facilities Program has $2.7 million – of the $150 million total – allocated for Kansas.  Whether your community has been directly affected or is located within these eligible counties, up to $50,000 per application is available.

What can my community use the funds for?

Some of the 100+ allowable project examples include:

  • New fire/rescue vehicles and related equipment,
  • Police vehicles & related equipment,
  • Firefighter turnout gear and related equipment,
  • Ambulance & related equipment,
  • Weather sirens,
  • And much more.
  • Example: the Coffeyville Area Community Foundation, Inc. recently received a grant of $8,300 to help turn vacant lots into a community garden and orchard.

How do I get started?

Contact your local USDA area office for more information and to get started on your application.  Grants are provided on a graduated scale.  A higher proportion of grant funds are available to communities with smaller populations that have the lowest median household income.

When is the application due?

Applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis, until funds run out.

Who is eligible for the funds?

Funds are available to the organizations and entities below that have projects in eligible rural areas with a population of 20,000 or less:

  • Municipalities (cities, counties, townships, rural water districts, EMS, fire departments, health departments, etc.),
  • Public bodies,
  • Nonprofit organizations, and
  • Federally recognized Native American tribes.

As you’re budgeting this summer for the upcoming year, consider applying for these grant funds if you meet the criteria.  These grants are a big opportunity to help you continue serving your community.  For more information about this grant program, contact your Adams Brown advisor or visit the USDA’s Community Facilities webpage.