Mark P. Barnett, Jr., CPA, CVA, CGMA, CCIFP, MBA launched his career in public accounting in 2004. Joining the Adams Brown team in 2020, Mark serves as a partner and Construction and Real Estate Industry Leader.
With vast audit and finance experience, Mark’s tenure includes service with KPMG, Horne, LLP, and EGP, PLLC, where he most recently served as the founder and partner-in-charge of the Jonesboro, Arkansas location and partner-in-charge of firm-wide construction services.
Mark specializes in helping construction and real estate companies and their stakeholders navigate the industry’s complexities by focusing on proactive tax planning, including working to maximize the book and tax differences to minimize taxes while focusing on healthy working capital, bonding capacity, and cash flows. He also assists in planning for retirement, business valuations and transfer plans, wealth management strategies, provides expert witness testimony, and everything in-between. If you ask his peers and clients, Mark is known for building and maintaining strong relationships, providing top-notch service, and being approachable, friendly, and focused.
He stays actively involved in the industry as a member of numerous associations including the Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA), Associated Builders & Contractors of AR (treasurer and board member), and the West Tennessee Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors of Tennessee. Mark was recognized by CPA Practice Advisor as one of the ‘Top 40 Under 40’ CPA’s in the U.S in 2018 and recognized as Industry Professional of the Year by Associated Builders and Contractors of AR in 2018.
Mark’s hobbies include staying involved with his church, spending time with family, hunting (mostly duck, deer, turkey), fly fishing, bass fishing, and shooting sporting clays. A true outdoorsman, he was a competitive sporting clays shooter in high school and college where he was a two-time all-American and the 2000 Overall and Junior Tennessee State Champion, placing 3rd in Junior and 13th overall in the national championship. After graduating from college, Mark served as a fly-fishing guide in Colorado before starting his career in public accounting.
Having lived all across the country, Mark and his wife, Gabbi, now call Jonesboro home. Mark and Gabbi met on a duck hunting trip to Argentina. Together they have two young children, Mark Parker “Trey” Barnett, III, and Jessica Nolen “Noley” Barnett, and two Labrador Retrievers, Bella and Massey. Both are duck hunting dogs, though Bella is retired because of a leg injury.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Tennessee, Arkansas, Kansas
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional (CCIFP)
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- Institute of Certified Construction Industry Financial Professionals (ICCIFP)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Arkansas Society of Certified Public Accountants (ASCPA)
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
- Associated Builders & Contractors of AR, Treasurer and Board of Directors and member of the Eastern Council
- Jonesboro Chamber of Commerce
- University of Mississippi
- Bachelor of Accountancy (BA), 2004
- University of Mississippi
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc), 2005
- University of Tennessee
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) with Emphasis in Finance, 2009
- Tax reform and its impact on contractors, AR ABC, 2017
- Revenue recognition and its effect on contractors, to numerous bond agents and sureties, 2018
- Conceptualized and launched the EGP construction forum, 2019
- Expert panelist alongside attorneys, bond agents, sureties, and executives in the construction industry, 2019
- Revenue recognition presentation, 2019